Entrepreneurial Bootcamp at OSU
The Cowboy Bootcamp is presented by the Riata Center for Entrepreneurship in the Spears School of Business at .
“The Cowboy Bootcamp for Entrepreneurs is a hands on-environment where participants can learn to develop a profitable venture and how to manage the day-to-day operations of a business,” says Nola Miyasaki, director of the Riata Center.
Each bootcamp class is taught by nationally recognized School of Entrepreneurship faculty members and guest entrepreneurs. Mentoring and coaching also will be provided to individual businesses by the Riata Center consulting staff and students in partnership with the University of Tulsa.
Sample topics to be covered over the six weeks include:
• The characteristics of great entrepreneurs,
• What makes a great business concept and business model,
• The real role a business plan plays and why entrepreneurs need to write it themselves,
• The need-to-know on bookkeeping and accounting,
• What it means to think and act like a “guerrilla” when it comes to marketing,
• The internet’s role in a new business,
• How operations should be organized,
• Issues in hiring people and outsourcing and
• Trademarks and intellectual property.
Last year’s bootcamp provided a promising forecast for the 2010 program’s success, as it helped numerous entrepreneurs around the state.
The Riata Center currently is accepting applicants for the 2010 Cowboy Bootcamp, which will be held on six consecutive Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon at -Tulsa’s campus beginning Oct. 9 and concluding Nov. 13. Optional sessions about strategic topics also will be offered on select Saturdays from noon to 1 p.m.
Program applications will be accepted through October 6 with only the first 55 applicants being accepted. Because of generous sponsors, the fee for the six weeks of instruction is $650 and includes instruction, course materials and refreshments. A limited number of $200 scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The scholarship application is available on the online Cowboy Bootcamp registration form. Visit www.entrepreneurship.okstate.edu/bootcamp or call Mary Means at 405-744-7871 to register or for more information.