Since 1960, a Bishop Kelley education has centered on the Catholic faith and offered outstanding academics. The great majority of students attend college; Kelley students are accepted at outstanding universities across the U.S. Most importantly, the school strives to graduate students who practice the Gospel values of Jesus Christ, or in the words of St. John Baptist de La Salle “have hearts and minds committed to the service of others, especially the poor.”
The 37-acre campus at 41st Street and Hudson Avenue is now centrally located, but when Bishop Kelley opened, school buildings stood on a hill among fields. Although new houses were being built, city bus service only extended to 36th Street and Yale Avenue.
In the late 1950’s, a group of young parents in Tulsa had the vision of a central Catholic high school to serve the whole city. Bishop Eugene McGuinness promoted the effort. The school was named for Bishop Francis C. Kelley. The Brothers of the Christian Schools and the Sisters of Divine Providence opened the school in 1960 with separate classes for the boys and girls. They started a tradition of rigorous academics and high expectations of their students. By 1965, most classes were co-educational.
The school’s initial facilities included classrooms, a gym, and residences for the Brothers and Sisters. Over the years, both facilities and academic offerings have greatly expanded. Facilities include the De La Salle Chapel, a theater, science and technology classrooms, a home stadium, library/media center, baseball and softball fields. Advanced placement, honors courses, speech and debate programs, academic competitions, international initiatives, athletic teams, co-curricular opportunities, and performing arts continue to demonstrate growth and success. Bishop Kelley will hold an open house for prospective high school students on Oct. 4. For information, please e-mail to: email@example.com.