KUDOS OF THE MONTH: Circle Cinema
Circle Cinema, 10 S. Lewis, Tulsa’s nonprofit cinema and only remaining historic movie house, celebrated its 85th birthday on July 15. After renovations, the theatre now features three auditoriums, four movie screens, an expanded lobby and a restored entrance that resembles its appearance in 1952.
The theatre originally opened in 1928. Out of the 26 movie theatres that existed in 1945, Circle Cinema is the only one remaining.
Circle Cinema Foundation formed in 2003 and purchased the old Circle Theatre at 10 S. Lewis and adjoining storefront at 12 S. Lewis.
The foundation’s next plan is reinstallation of the theatre’s original pipe organ used during its silent movie days.
Today, the theatre features independent, documentary, foreign and classic films along with educational programs. It provides screening opportunities for local filmmakers, brings guest speakers to discuss films and networks with other local nonprofits to use film to spur community conversation on various topics. Its mission is to create community consciousness through film.