Kudos of the Month: TU’s KWGS & KWTU Radio
Public Radio Tulsa is a listener-supported service of the University of Tulsa. Public Radio 89.5 KWGS and Classical 88.7 KWTU are non-commercial FM stations broadcasting from Kendall Hall on the TU campus.
KWGS hosts National Public Radio, which is celebrating its 50th year of broadcasting.
From a tower located near Coweta, KWGS covers northeastern Oklahoma with a power of 50,000 watts; KWTU serves Tulsa with 5,000 watts. The stations of Public Radio Tulsa are affiliates of National Public Radio, American Public Media, Minnesota Public Radio, and the British Broadcasting System.
Public Radio Tulsa is funded, in part, by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
KWGS began broadcasting on October 19,1947 and was the first FM station in Oklahoma and one of the first educational stations in the country. The call letters reflect the generosity of oilman William Grove Skelly. KWTU’s sign-on of Oct. 15, 2004 celebrated the return of classical music to the Tulsa airwaves and owes a debt of gratitude to John K. Major, owner of Tulsa’s first commercial classical music station. KWTU is the first station in Oklahoma to broadcast in digital HD Radio.
Rich Fisher is the general manager of Public Radio Tulsa.