TULSA, Okla. – The 40th-ranked Tulsa women’s tennis team upset 31st-ranked Rice, 5-2, to win its sixth-straight match on Saturday afternoon at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. The Hurricane improves to 12-4 on the season, and Rice drops to 8-5.
Tulsa swept through doubles action for the third-straight match as 55th-ranked JoAnne Karaitiana and Alexandra Kichoutkin defeated 41st-ranked Julie Chao and Ana Guzman, 8-5, in the No. 1 position, and 58th-ranked Anastasia Erofeeva and Ewa Szatkowska dropped Jessica Jackson and Alex Rasch, 8-4, in the second flight. Rebecca Row and Michelle Farley completed the sweep with an easy 8-2 win over Rebecca Lin and Rebekka Hanle in the No. 3 position.
In singles, the top of the lineup belonged to the Hurricane as three of TU’s four singles victories came from the No. 1-3 positions. 100th-ranked Alexandra Kichoutkin topped Rebekka Hanle 1-6, 6-1, 6-3, in the No. 1 slot, JoAnne Karaitiana stopped Julie Chao, 6-4, 6-2, in the second position, and Anastasia Erofeeva defeated Jessica Jackson, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 3 flight.
Rebecca Row won her eighth-straight match with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Rebecca Lin in No. 5 singles.
“It was a tough match in tough conditions,” Head Coach Dean Orford said. “Rice is a very good team and I’m happy with the way the girls competed and the way things are going for us right now.”
The Hurricane hits the road for a pair of matches against Iowa and Wichita State next Friday and Saturday, March 19-20, in Indian Wells, Calif.
#40 Tulsa 5, #31 Rice 2
1. #55 Karaitiana/Kichoutkin () def. #41 Chao/Guzman (), 8-5
2. #58 Erofeeva/Szatkowska () def. Jackson/Rasch (), 8-4
3. Farley/Row () def. Lin/Hanle (), 8-2
1. #100 Alexandra Kichoutkin () def. Rebekka Hanle (), 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. JoAnne Karaitiana () def. Julie Chao (), 6-4, 6-2
3. Anastasia Erofeeva () def. Jessica Jackson (), 6-2, 6-2
4. Ana Guzman () def. Ewa Szatkowska (), 6-3, 6-3
5. Rebecca Row () def. Rebecca Lin (), 6-1, 7-5
6. Daniella Trigo () def. Michelle Farley (), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4